Monday 23 January 2012

22nd January - Logged off with Apple



No real time to write, I just wanted to show off the large stack of apple wood that dad and I have produced. It's all done now and the prospects for a warm cottage next winter are looking good.

A busy weekend.  Em and I performed at a Burns night on Saturday, the first I've ever been to. Why don't the English have a day to celebrate fatty food, drinking and the delights of women? On Sunday we were up to Surrey for a family 60th.

The salt lick which I put just in the coppice close to the cottage finally appears to have been discovered by the deer. Although it had fallen from its metal holder, the red block was unmistakably licked smooth and in theory the local population of roe and perhaps even some fallow will visit regularly now. I noticed this development on a walk I took with Em and G down the hill to view the latest felling done by the coppice workers. It fills me with great pleasure to see the chestnut stalls cut down, for where the uninitiated see destruction I see assurance that this coppice will survive in good order for decades to come. Most chestnut stalls are hundreds of years old and only continue thanks to periodic cutting which allows them to regenerate. It is the areas of coppice which are not cut which face real destruction, as they succumb to overcrowding and being blown by the wind.



No comments:

Post a Comment