Tuesday 6 December 2011

4th December - Jam Sponge and Custard



The temperature has dropped considerably over the last few days and although little frost has penetrated the woodland clearing which serves for our garden, this morning the fields opposite were veiled in white once more. I was reflecting on the fact that winter seems to have put in an appearance at last, when I noticed that only the cock from my pair of Old English Game was waiting for its food. My immediate thought was that his mate had somehow escaped and being eaten overnight but a quick search inside the run revealed my fears were unfounded. Behind a palette, a spot which she has used twice before, I found her sitting tight on a clutch of eggs. I have never known a chicken to go broody so late in the season and it surprises me even more with an Old English Game hen, as they are a primitive breed and presumably more influenced by natural instincts. Perhaps the unseasonal warmth, which prevailed for such a time and had my apple trees blossoming in November was the culprit. I shall let her sit and take her chances.  The spots she has chosen is dry and sheltered and I suspect she will be successful.

C and I’s previous hedge laying record has been utterly smashed. 40 m in one-day was our previous best and today thanks to the favourable conditions which I mentioned previously, we managed an astounding 60 m. To make the achievement more surprising we didn't even start until 10 AM, due to picking up materials from Green Lane and a  break out by my parents' sheep. It's too easy not to look up when you work hard in this way and when we do stop, I'm reminded of all the things which are being missed which previously I sought time to admire. Laying a hedge opens up views one never realised existed.  As we drank tepid tea from our thermal mugs we looked out across the Sussex countryside, where the sepia tones of an early sunset gave the oaks, still crowded with withered leaves, a warm glow. Having patrolled a nearby hedgerow, a kestrel stopped to hover over a likely spot and it put any achievement of ours to shame to see the creature's skill. She held her body in perfect stillness despite the wind and her rapidly flitting wings. C is a good friend, one of the few with whom I can discuss my love of the countryside with without feeling stupid.

Dinner
Slow roasted mutton chops with potato and onion layer bake, cabbage and gravy. Followed by a steamed strawberry jam sponge and custard. It's almost tempting to get a job when Em cooks so wonderfully! The Peary Pudding has led her to rediscover the joy is of a steamed pudding and I am only too happy to encourage the revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment