Friday 2 December 2011

1st December - Rain

Wet gear after a wet day

There isn't a great deal to say about today, other than it has been wet - very wet! The rain began as we drove through Northiam and by the time we arrived on site, the handful of pet sheep which inhabit the paddocks there were already in their shelter. Always a bad sign I feel when animals are seeking cover, as they seem to have instinctive and uncannily accurate forecasting abilities. The mixed flock of South Downs, Romneys and Badger Face (a proper hobbyist's collection) were proven to have impeccable judgement and save for the odd foray to the adjacent hay feeder, stayed put whilst below in the valley bottom we toiled in sodden clothes, slipping on mud and struggling to grip our tool handles for greasy wetness. C even had to lend me his chainsaw helmet as the fine mesh of my visor held so much water from the torrential downpour that it was impossible for me to see.

Despite the adverse conditions the first length of hedge is now complete and all the clearing up done. Next week we'll be up the hill making a start on the next stretch of about 150 m.

G has discovered the joys of splashing! Last night Em was out watching some of her singing pupils at a concert and it fell to me to complete our son's bedtime routine, save for the breastfeeding, naturally. Bath time begins with him sitting up and shuffling backwards along the length of the bath, though how it doesn't turn to frustration I don't know, as his intention always is to go forward. However as soon as you lay him back the fun really starts.  Immediately his legs go high in the air and are bought down with such purpose that his little back arches right out of the shallow water with the effort. This process is repeated with exteme rapidity and the resulting plumes of water which cascade all across the bathroom are of great amusement to the little mite who, baring all six teeth in a gapping grin, giggles uncontrollably.
  
I feel a brief apology is in order with regards to my blog. My intention has been to produce good quality writing, conjuring up the pleasures of country life but I realise that of late my entries have become increasingly short and mundane. Bear with me and I promise an improvement when the hedge laying has finished and I have more time and energy to spare.

Dinner
Ragu of mutton and tomato with pasta (a.k.a. spaghetti bolognese)  Just the thing after a long wet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment