Sunday 6 November 2011

5th November - First Shoot

Spinach seedlings eyed by hungry chicken

The forecast was for torrential rain this morning but it never came and it was little more than a light drizzle which swirled around H’s yard as guns and beaters congregated for the first shoot. Old friends shook hands and commented on the swift passage of time whilst retrievers, labradors and spaniels milled about restless with excitement. I was just beginning my social rounds when H called me over to send me on ' a mission ', so with young O, whom I had brought with me, I set off leaving behind the talk of ferreting and stalking, guns and dogs. As I've mentioned before I have shot over H’s land for over 15 years and now my role lies somewhere between beater, gun, organiser and gamekeeper.  It is a position which suits me but does often result in these so-called missions, long treks to bring in a distant boundary or position a gun in a hard to find spot.

The first drive was through the cherry orchard and cover strip which early in the season produces good birds that soar over the valley below.  Mission complete, I stood in my back gun position and recalled years gone by, remembering a few fine birds which I have dropped, standing in line on that drive and scores which I have missed. The drizzle continued and as I watched a flock of chaffinches flow from the cover crop and a magpie dart from an oak, then hover clumsily in pursuit of a white moth (something I'd never seen before) the water beaded on my well oiled barrels. Then a whistle sounded, the beaters moved forward and immediately pheasants streamed from the light cover. Birds on the first day are renowned for their reluctance to fly, but no such problem today, cocks and hens alike rocketed up, sailing over experienced guns with impunity. One or two nice birds were taken and some less challenging shots secured a few more for the bag. Nothing flew back, but to see good peasants beating good guns was entertainment enough.

My chances for a shot did not improve all day and I bungled the only opportunity I had in typical fashion. As always the dog frayed my nerves and strained my voice with the continual threat of disappearing off, and generally the day unfolded in the normal way. Unusually Square Wood was used as a final drive and produced some good birds. Eleven were bagged and many more provided shooting but evaded danger - a good result considering the problems we have with the pheasants wandering. The day ended back in the H’s yard with a bag of 31 peasants and one pigeon.

The spinach seedlings in the greenhouse are a picture of health and providing I keep the door shut and the chickens out, I am confident they will produce usable foliage this winter.

Dinner
Pork Curry with spicy braised cabbage and rice, followed by chocolate mousse. Em slaved all day frying onion paste and trimming meat to make a stunning curry which my parents enjoyed with us. Inspired by a dish my sister cooked I got creative with another portion of the giant white cabbage with good results.


Spicy braised cabbage

Ingredients

Onion
Garlic
Sweet red pepper
Fresh chilli
Oil
Tomato purée
Anchovy paste
Shredded cabbage

Method

·        Liquidise onion, garlic, pepper and chilli to a smooth paste.
·        Fry paste in a generous amount of vegetable oil until stiff and dry.
·        Add tomato purée, a small amount of anchovy paste and combine.
·        Add cabbage, stir well, put on lid and braise until cooked but still crispy.




No comments:

Post a Comment