Sunday 13 November 2011

12th November - Bampton to Bruckner



The arrival of A in his bright blue Subaru pickup could mean only one thing-we were going to receive an invite to his Boxing Day shoot! I have been a guest for something over 16 years and the event has become as much a part of Christmas as goose or mince pies. I shan't harp on about childhood memories and vast basins of steak and kidney pudding now, as there's plenty of time for that on Boxing Day. To add to the happy occasion he also offered me hoops for 80 feet of poly tunnel – that’s space for a lot of tomatoes!

For a yokel such as myself the day's events felt rather hectic. A’s visit coincided with the arrival of a three ton load of logs from my father, then Mum losing her keys kept me occupied until it was time to go to Goudhurst and dance with the Morris for ' Meet the Village '. Bells were shaken, hankies flicked and memories of my washing-up days in the pond side restaurant made me smile...leftover crème brûlées, fillet steak sandwiches and Bloody Marys after last orders on a Saturday night, the cosy chats with Teemo and Barry in the snug and pelting ducks with a tea towel sling loaded with boiled spuds. Then without even having time to mix with the great and good of the village I was off to St Leonards. The S.E. coast is not a place to venture without good reason and solo roles for Battle Choral Society singing Haydn’s Harmony mass and Bruckner’s Te Deum constituted mine. I am grateful to have such a wide contrast in my life - there was nothing highbrow about the engagement but to be with a totally different crowd performing fantastic music was a healthy change. I had never performed either piece before and the Te Deum in particular has left a lasting impression. The first movement has become a serious contender to knock Faure’s ‘In Paradesium’  off top spot for my funeral! The thought of ripping the quiet proceeds apart with the massive brass entries and unashamedly dramatic chord sequences amuses me somehow. Quite how it could be arranged outside, around the pyre of coppiced hazel (cut uing my favourite Bill Hook of course) I don't quite know.

No comments:

Post a Comment